Monday, September 8, 2008

Braised Pork, Poblano and Cream Sauce; weekend pictures

poblano solo
Work demands tonight required a speed meal so a few leftovers and miscellaneous fell together into a great little combo - a braised pork, poblano pasta and cream sauce to accompany pasta.

By the way, someone recently blogged another pasta sauce with leftover pork braise which gave me the idea, but when I went looking for it, I was at a loss even after much searching. I winged the meal in this post, but I'd love to try the other recipe so if you know what I'm referring to (it was just in the last few days) please post a link in the comments!

braised pork poblano
Braised Pork, Poblano and Cream Pasta Sauce (photo is pre-cream)

Served 2

braised pork, shredded (enough for two people)
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 cayenne pepper (or a jalapeno), sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
dried oregano, sprinkling
salt and pepper
heavy cream and a touch of milk
pasta (preferrably egg noodles)

Shred the pork it into smallish pieces with two forks. In a saute pan on medium-low heat, saute a the onion and garlic in olive oil. Seed and chop the poblano pepper, then slice the cayenne pepper was sliced crosswise (into thin rings), keeping some of the seeds to add some heat. Add to pan.

Stir in half a teaspoon of ground cumin, a sprinkling of dried oregano and a few grindings of salt and pepper. Raise heat and stir for a few minutes, then turn the heat all the way down.

Pour in a small amount of cream, maybe a quarter cup (just enough to nicely coat everything -- do not let it get soupy). I didn't want the sauce to be too rich, so I cut the cream with a little bit of milk, and then added a spoonful of the starchy water from the pasta pot. Taste for salt and pepper and serve by spooning over the pasta. Note: we only had spagetti but I would have preferred egg noodles, campanelle or farfalle (in that order).


Weekend Pictures

Most of the cooking Lisl and I did over the weekend was for recipes that still need tinkering, but I thought I would share some photos from our flickr set.

peaches
We have a tree with little white peaches which can be great to cook with.

peaches

cranberry beans shelled
I loooooovvvveeeee fresh cranberry beans!

Flowers
In our neighbor Gail's garden

morning glory

1 comment:

Stacey Snacks said...

Giff,
Bon jour from Paris.
I can't believe you have those beautiful peaches!
The pork dish looks lovely.

Stace